After 7 weeks of classes I am finally writing a blog about my experiences so far in the City of Chandler's City Services Academy. It has been a very interesting class. Each week we learn about a different service offered by Chandler. The first week was the basics. We learned about the City Manager, Mayor, Councilmembers, HR Department, the Diversity Dept, and City Clerk's duties. Without looking at my notes, the most interesting thing I remember learning from that class was that the mayor was actually a part-time employee and had another full time job.
The second week was focused on housing/property codes. Basically, the rules that homeowners and residents of Chandler must follow and how those codes are enforced.
The 3rd week was on the Recreational facilities in Chandler. The Tumbleweed Rec center, the Aquatics centers, the libraries, and of course, the Chandler Center for the Arts.
4th week: Planning and Development. We learned about how Chandler houses and businesses are placed through the city. Interesting topic, but seriously a bunch of monotone men lecturing for 3 hours. Interesting fact: Chandler is near build-out, meaning in a few years all land will be taken up.
5th week: Public Works. This class was the most interactive at this point. We were shown how the city street signs were made, allowed in a city bus (though, I passed considering I rode in one for years!), and best of all, allowed in a bucket truck up 40 feet, alone, with someone controlling the truck from the ground. It was great!
Week 6 took us into the courts. We were lectured by the city attorney and judge. Having served on a jury before, I found most of the talk familiar. They also had a mock trial that was like a spoof of Law and Order on Saturday Night Live or something. Fun, though.
Tonight was week 7. We were taken to the Fire Training Field in Chandler. I found the lecture interesting because they talked about more than just the typical fire call. I didn't know how much the fire department offers as far as volunteer services and community help services. I actually think I know which city class I am going to take next. It is called CERT, Community Emergency Resource Training. It actually originated in California for people to learn how to handle emergencies themselves until help could arrive. This was helpful with earthquakes. Chandler, obviously, doesn't need to train people earthquake survival, but has the class to teach basic First Aid and how to handle yourself in you or someone with you were injured in a car accident. After the lecture we were taken outside for numerous demonstrations. We watched as firefighters extinguished a car fire. We were allowed to ride in a ladder bucket up 80 feet. We were able to handle and spray a hose. And we were taken into a smoke filled building with heat sensor cameras to guide us. It was so fun!!!
Next week I am expecting to be a little bored. The class will deal with finances, I believe. It is titled "The color of Money" and it takes place on Tax Day, so I figured... After that we have the Police Department. From what I hear that is as fun as the fire, if not more. Can't wait!!!
I love Chandler!!!
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
City Services Academy
Posted by Nicole at 9:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment