CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A few movie suggestions

Although it seems like I am bombarded with stuff to do lately, I have found myself at home a lot. So, movie night in Nicole's bedroom has been almost every night for the past couple of weeks. I've been catching up on a few movies that have been on my list to see for months, if not years. Here is a list of the movies I am suggesting...

1.) Water: Subtitled. Takes place in India where widows are practically forced into social exile. It's the story of an 8 year old who is married and becomes a widow. She must then live in a home for widows. Her questioning ways bring on challenges to their idealogy. I don't know if my synopsis is doing it justice, but it's a great movie. Surprise ending had me in tears. Just found out the writer/director has two other films titled "Fire" and "Earth". They are next on my netflix now.

2.) The Orphanage: Subtitled Takes place in Spain (I believe). It's about a woman who decides to buy the building of the orphanage she grew up in. Later on, with the disappearance of her son, the secrets of the orphanage are revealed. It's a "horror" film and I have to admit I was a tad scared at some parts, but overall it was a great story. Another one that surprisingly had me in tears at the end.

3.) The Savages: American film (no subtitles). A great story about a sister and brother who have to put their father in a nursing home. Especially heartbreaking when the father believes he's in a hotel and will be going home. Tears? Yep!

In case you haven't figured it out, I cry for everything! The preview for "Brother Bear" a few years ago had me bawling!!!

4.) Oliver: The 2005 or 2006 version. I had never seen Oliver. I thought it was really good. The little boy was fantastic. Again, tears at the end!

5.) The Nanny Diaries: FINALLY!!! I loved the book but never thought it would be a good movie. Surprised me! It was actually okay. And I think I liked the ending to the movie more than the ending to the book! And yeah, there were tears when "Nanny" left.

FYI: Netflix is great, but I just discovered that in Chandler, the Hamilton Library has an excellent selection of movies. Apparently the manager or director is a big movie buff and wanted the selection to be diverse and up to date. Nice!

0 comments: