I moved to California last Sunday (July 19th). It’s been a move in the works for many years. I think that once I decided to work as a nanny, I was likely going to give it a try in LA at some point. I really started planning the move about a year and a half ago. That’s when I signed on to be a nanny for a couple of families and knew they wouldn’t need me after this June. So, for the last year I have been researching agencies, preparing my resume, and planning the actual move. I had moved last summer into a new place, so I was able to get rid of A LOT of junk, making this move very easy!
The way the agencies work out here is that they won’t hire you or consider interviewing you with families until you have moved to Cali. So, I tried to promote myself as much as possible in their minds prior to moving so that when I made it to LA I would be more likely to get interviews sooner than if they were just meeting me. I got in with two agencies that were impressed with my resume and the website I had created. They both made it apparent that they wanted me to see them as soon as I was in town. And then there was one individual family that expressed an interest in interviewing me. Nevertheless, once I was out here things were looking okay.
As for actually moving…I had made plans to stay with my great-aunt Grace in La Verne, my hometown. Once I get a job, I will likely move to the Burbank area to be closer to the city. But until then, I am perfectly happy in La Verne. I liked being back in my hometown and being able to see people that I hadn’t seen in years. Aside from family, I have learned though that time changes people. I have little to no interest in some of the friends I once had. It’s a good thing I like my family here…and Rachelle, who’s like family. Aside from family and Rachelle, it’s kind of lonely here.
Okay, back to the move…I drove my stuff out here on the 19th. I rented a Uhaul and trailer (to haul my car). Initially, I was planning on driving out myself. Again, sometimes friends don’t follow through as well as you may think. On Saturday, Brittney and I rode drove to the Uhaul place to pick up the truck and trailer. After a brief lesson in driving, unhitching, rehitching, and all that other jazz that comes with renting a Uhaul, we were off on our own. We drove the truck and trailer (with my car already on it) to her house, where we unhitched the trailer. It was the middle of the day, and I NEEDED to get my stuff out of storage and into the Uhaul. So, we headed to the storage unit. It took us 30 minutes (and two close calls of heat stroke) to get all of my stuff loaded in the 115 degree heat.
We then headed back to the house. I was going to wait for Chuck to get there to have him help me hitch the trailer back up. But, Brittney and I were feeling very manly, so we decided to give it a try ourselves. Well, after driving forward and backward about 10 times, we were able to line it up just right to attach it. SUCCESS! I was ready to drive to Cali…alone.
That night family and friends got together for a farewell BBQ. Tons of fun with food and karaoke. Oh, and one last monsoon storm! It was a nice evening. However, all evening I was visually scared about driving alone to Cali. Well, I totally would have been fine once on the road, but until I actually embark on any stressful event I always seem more scared than I actually am. So, at about 11pm (7 hours before I had planned on leaving), Brittney decided she would drive out with me and then fly back. So, that’s what we did.
At 5:45am we were on the road. The drive was VERY long. We had to keep it at 55mph because of the trailer…UGH! We made it into La Verne at 12:45. I ate a quick sandwich, unhitched the trailer and car, and then we immediately headed to the storage. We had everything unloaded at the unit in about 20 minutes. It was super easy! We then headed back to my cousin’s house to rehitch the trailer and take it back to the Uhaul place. I wanted so badly to just be done with it! We were done with everything by 3. NICE!
The rest of the day and next were spent relaxing. Brittney had In N Out and Warehouse Pizza for the first time ever! Mmmm! She then flew home Monday night. Poor thing was delayed in Cali from a 6pm flight until 10pm. There had been a huge monsoon storm in AZ that wouldn’t allow any flights to land. As she was flying she said they went through a storm and she could see lightning. Not a good flight for someone who’s afraid of flying as it is. I’m thankful she came, though.
Now I am just interviewing and hoping something comes soon!
Saturday, August 1, 2009
The Move
Posted by Nicole at 3:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment