The politics in the air have inspired me to become more informed (less ignorant) of government. While the current politics are focusing on national issues, I am pretty sure my chances of surviving a course on US government would be slim. There is too much to learn. So, I'm starting out small. I applied to take a 10-12 week class offered by the City of Chandler on city government. (FYI: I found out most cities in AZ offer these FREE classes) While I had never heard of the class before, I was unsure how popular it was, so I applied a month in advance. The class only allows 30 people. Much to my surprise, I recieved an email today(weeks after applying) confirming that I was accepted in the class. I feel like one of the elite, however I wouldn't be surprised if the class that holds 30 people only had 15 apply. Anyhow, next week I will be in a VIP section at the much anticipated Mayor's State of the City Address (sense the sarcasm?) No, really, I am eager to learn more about government.
To add to my Chandler networking strategy, I have learned that the father of the little kids I watch, recently began writing a blog for the City of Chandler. He is now among the city journalist, giving his two cents about Chandler. http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/ScottYabiku/
Also, one of Grace's teachers is married to the recently appointed temporary City Councilmember.
With those ties, who knows...I may be Mayor of Chandler one day. I love Chandler! It has the big town feel, with it's shopping and restaurants, while still having the small town connections/family life. It's the closest thing I have found to La Verne in Arizona.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Becoming more involved in Chandler
Posted by Nicole at 9:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment