I woke up Tuesday morning shortly before my dad and his wife had to go to work. I left their place at about 10am. As always, when I left my dad's place I headed down the road (about 30 minutes) to see my uncle in Lomita. He's actually my mom's brother, but I think my dad and he used to get together every once in a while for a game of chess. And Dad, if you're reading this, Ken wants to meet up for a game soon!
My uncle Ken is a magician. He's got a great magic shop full of some amazing tricks. I love seeing the newest ones and favor the ones that make you think and get your mind going. After meeting him at his shop, we headed down the street for some breakfast. After eating we headed to a park right behind the restaurant to catch up on all the happenings in our lives. It was a beautiful day outside, and sitting in the shade with the breeze blowing through made me miss California weather for a split second. Then I realized, heat, sun, and sweat is not fun. California heat IS different (and worse, in my opinion) than Arizona heat.
Though we were catching up on everything, my great-aunt, Grace, had assigned me the task of convincing my uncle to attend the Saturday portion of the family reunion. With gas prices, and the fact that the family reunion would be at the beach close to where he lives on Sunday, Ken was only planning on attending Sunday's event. I convinced him to head out to La Verne for Saturday so that he could see, not only me again, but everyone that wouldn't be going down the the beach because of the heat and possibly getting sun burned. Task accomplished, and glad it was. More info to come on the Saturday/Sunday events with Ken...

I left the Lomita area around 3, I believe. I wanted to make it down to San Diego by dinner time. I wasn't concerned with the traffic I may be up against, but fortunately I didn't hit much of it. I made it to San Diego by about 5:30 (I think). My dad's parents and siblings live in Chula Vista. I rarely get to see them. Actually, I really didn't know too much about them until a few years ago. Yeah, we would get together occasionally as a kid, but I think I went at least 10 years without seeing them at one point.
A long lost cousin, who I found on myspace, was planning a trip to Chula Vista at the same time I would be there. We planned the trips together so that we had the opportunity to meet. Tuesday night, after I got into town, I spent the evening chatting with my aunt and cousins. One of my cousins was kind enough to help me finish the family reunion video I was doing for my mom's family. At around 11pm, I headed over to the San Diego Airport to pick up my cousin Jessica and her son, Nate. I had never driven to the airport before. My cousins were all working or out doing something else, so I ventured out there alone. I usually do well with driving and directions anyways, so I wasn't worried. It actually turned out to be really easy.
Jessica's flight was supposed to be in at 10:30pm. But there were so many delays that it didn't get in until 11pm. Her first flight was delayed to Denver, so we were worried she would miss her connecting to San Diego, but fortunately that flight was also delayed, so she made it! Unfortunately, however, her luggage did not make the switch in time, so we would have to go to the airport the following morning to pick it up. That was fine, though, because it was on the way to Sea World, our Wednesday adventure, so it didn't matter to use. Also, I was able to perfect my airport driving abilities with a return visit.

Well, when we got back to my aunt's place around midnight, we all crashed! No chance to really socialize and catch up. Oh, well, that's what Wednesday was for! More to come...

0 comments:
Post a Comment