CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Little lives lost

What a week! So, to begin the little boy for whom we help a movie fundraiser for in May, passed way on Monday. These last few weeks have been a rollercoaster for him. While I don't know exactly what he passed away from, I do know that there had been a couple of transplants that just weren't the right fit. Then he developed an infection in his lungs, which sounded like it spread to other organs. Last I hear Monday morning, his kidneys were the only thing really keeping him alive, and they seemed to be failing. Unfortunately he passed away that evening. Jenn and I have been attached to this story since we heard about it in May. And from the outpour of condolences on his website, we weren't the only ones hoping this little guy would make it. It's truly a loss. He was just 2 weeks away from his 1st birthday.

While I feel like I've been somewhat of a zombie lately from the news, my "zombie" mood turned to extreme shock when I learned tonight that my sister's best friend from childhood lost her 5 year old daughter to a heart defect that she didn't even know she had. The little girl felt sick, and then 30 minutes later went into a seizure and passed way. This happened in July, but she couldn't find the words to tell our family. We found out from a friend of mine's mother, who had spoken to Mere's friend. (We come from a small town) 7 years ago she lost her son to the same thing. The doctors told her it was so rare that it would likely never happen to any of her other children.

I am almost afraid to sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow. Two sweet children are no longer here because of medical conditions that weren't caught soon enough.

0 comments: