CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Life.

I realized these last few weeks that the last 3 summers have really defined me in one way or another. I don't know if I am saying it right, so let me explain. The summer of '05 was probably one of the worst summers of my life. It was my first summer without taking classes. It was the first summer since I had graduated college and was still trying to figure out what I wanted to do. It was my first summer working for the babysitting agency. Well, I expected that summer to be great. The agency (which I had been with for 9 months at that time) was a GREAT job. I was making tons of extra cash. When summer came I planned on quitting JoAnn's because it just wasn't for me, and I was going to work full-time with the agency. Well, things didn't go as planned. I learned that NOBODY visits the resorts in the summer because of the heat, therefore, NOBODY needed childcare. I was getting like 1 or 2 jobs a week, which is nothing. So, the summer of '05 was my "credit card" summer. My lesson learned: To spend money you have to earn it. And, CREDIT CARDS SUCK!


Last summer I am considering one of the best summers of my life. I figured out what I wanted to do...Nanny. I established myself with the agency and was working with more residential clients. And, I cut up the credit cards! Not only was I happy were I was, it seemed like the direction I was heading in was the right one. I was able to plan out my summer better financially, thus allowing me to travel. In one summer I went to D.C., Philley, Washington St., NYC, and Cali (of course). Though I was working a lot, my jobs were flexible enough to take probably a total of a month off to travel. It was great. I learned so much about our country. I learned so much about me. I took all the trips solo and realized that I am really happy with who I am. My lesson learned: Traveling opens your eyes up to so many new things.


This summer is the reason for this blog. This summer I am calling my "Life" summer. I am calling it my "Life" summer because from June-August I experienced a birth, a death, and a wedding. The death was of my grandma. For those of you who really know me you know that my grandma is one of my heroes. Losing her was really an eye-opening lesson on who our family is. Unfortunately, the only times my family gets together (I have realized) is at weddings and funerals. So, when my mom, sister, neice, and I decided to make the trek out to Cali for the funeral I didn't know what to expect. When my great uncle passed away in '06 the journey really brought us together. We shared memories of the good times and pretty much just truly enjoyed eachother's company. I wasn't sure what to expect on this trip because it was our grandmother (my mom's mother) that had passed. We had a lot more memories to deal with. But my mom and sister truly surprised me. I even surprised myself. I always knew that my mom was probably one of the strongest women I know, but I learned this summer that I think I picked up that trait. I won't go into details because it is kind of personal, but I am glad I have the mom I do.

The wedding I experienced during my "Life" summer was of my brother and Brittney. I won't go into much, but I realized that love will conquer all, and life can be better when you have it to share with someone. (Maybe next summer will be my "Love" summer)

And the birth of the summer was of Kennedy. Jenn is one of my best friends. I feel she and I are closer than I am with ANYONE in my family. She is definitely like my sister. And I say that only because sometimes I annoy her like a sister. :) Well, when Jenn announced that she was pregnant at the beginning of the year, I knew it would be a great year. First of all, I love kids. But when your best friend is finally going to be able to do what she has always wanted to (become a mom) it makes the birth even more special. I am glad Jenn considers me a friend and has kept me informed with the pregnancy. To be able to go shopping and pick out cute outfits. To take pictures with the baby belly. To share it the excitement of a new little one with a baby shower. And most importantly, to share in the joy of the birth. I truly felt special to be allowed to wait with her family until Steve came out to announce the birth. There is nothing like the expressions on the faces of those who love you when you tell them that they are new grandparents, aunts, or uncles. I realized that it is something I can't wait to do for my parents, brother, and sister.

So, overall, my lesson learned this summer: Life is precious. Take advantage of every moment and share what you can with whomever you can.

Welcome, Kennedy Lynne

1 comments:

Kim said...

That was a really good post. Everything was worded perfect. Good Job!